Wednesday, March 12, 2014

STIM, by Kevin Berry


Hi Everyone!

This is RIGHT up my alley!  I am so happy to be a part of this tour! I read the words 'Asperger's Syndrome' and knew I had to read it!  



Title: STIM
Author: Kevin Berry
Add it to Goodreads!

Robert is different. He has Asperger’s Syndrome. He experiences the world differently to 99% of the population. Follow his entertaining and highly empathetic story as he struggles to realise and accept who he really is, try to understand other people—which he cannot—and find a girlfriend. Especially find a girlfriend—he’s decided it’s his special project for the year. Accompanied on this transformative journey by his quirky flatmates, Chloe (who also has Asperger’s, amongst other things), Stef (who hasn’t, but doesn’t mind) and their oddly-named kitten, Robert endures a myriad of awkward moments in his quest to meet a nice, normal girl…and not even a major earthquake will stop him.

This absorbing and humorous story is starkly told from Robert’s point of view, through the kaleidoscope of autistic experience.


I am fascinated by the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).  I know that's not how you anticipated this review to start...but it's true!  I have worked with people who have Autism and Asperger's syndrome in the past and since then I have been totally fascinated with everything to do with it.  So you can imagine my excitement when this tour from Xpresso Book Tours became available.  I clicked on 'sign up' as fast as I possibly could.

It certainly did not disappoint!  It was written well. (aside from a few spelling and grammatical errors)  It was entertaining from page one.  It was a fast read and accurate.  I also find it refreshing that this story was told through a teenagers point of view.  I have found that the majority of books about ASD are told from a child or adult's point of view. 

I loved that this book was very accurate with how a person who has ASD would be.  No, two people who are on the spectrum are the same.  They all have similar tendencies though, and those were spot on in this book.
 
Oh, Robert!  I adore Robert. Robert has a one track mind this year....SEX!  He wants it, and by enduring some very awkward moments, he is determined to get it.  Such a well developed character!!  He has the best personality.  Though I must admit, I really like all of the characters in this book.  There is not one that I hate. (Which is really rare for me!)  

If you enjoy an interesting quick read, you will like this book.  It had me laughing at times, sad at times, and even saying  'awwww' at times.  Pick it up, trust me...you wont regret it!



Purchase Links:
 B&N

2 comments:

  1. Yay so happy you liked it and I do think I would too! Robert sounds like a fantastic protagonist with just the right amount of depth and humor! :) Great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Erin, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...