Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Review of Scarlet, by Marissa Meyer




Title: Scarlet
Series: The Lunar Chronicles Book 2 
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher:
Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: February 5, 2013
Source: Library 
Purchase: Amazon
 

Add to Goodreads

The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.




I knew, without a doubt, after finishing Cinder, which is the first book in this surprisingly original series, that Scarlet could not get into my hands fast enough. Unfortunately, with so many books waiting for me, I really didn't know when I would get to it. Luckily, through this awesome meme, this came up and happy dances ensued. 

I was, however, surprised on how long it took me to get through this book. I think that the plague mentioned in the first novel, and a major focus in Cinder's story and heartbreak, was a major part in my captivation. 

Scarlet is an interesting, strong female character, and I instantly developed my own little reading crush on Wolf. Though the pace of the story was great and constant, and Cinder is just as bad-ass if not more than the first book, I didn't feel as connected to this installment, as I did to the first. Maybe because all of these characters spent most of it searching for answers that were right in front of their faces, and it all seemed like a big chase to a conclusion that has not happened yet. That being said, I am left with the same level of anticipation for the continuation of this story and I can't wait to be able to read the third novel. 


About this Author:

I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.

Author Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...