Friday, January 4, 2013

Character Interview - If Wishes Were Shadows, by A. Sangrey Black - an FMB Blog Tour



Good morning fellow readers! Today we have a first ever at Bookluvrs Haven! A character interview!

Please welcome vampire Dom, Adam Straton, from 'If Wishes Were Shadows' interviewed by Author A. Sangrey Black. 


Title: If Wishes Were Shadows
Series: The Shadows Series, #1
Author: A. Sangrey Black
Genre: Paranormal, Erotica, Menage (m/m/f), BDSM, Vampire

Publisher: Cobblestone Press
Ebook
Words: Approx. 14,000

Purchase:




Book Description:

Calinda Byer is all assertiveness in her daytime life, but when it comes to the bedroom, she leaves her will at the door with her clothes. Her vampire Dom, Adam Straton, refuses to turn her until she has witnessed the darker side of immortality and the true depths of his sexuality -- including his male vampire lover.  A weekend at his country estate promises dark, twisted delights the likes of which Calinda could never have imagined. All she has to do is use the safe word, and she can return to the "normal" world alone. But will she?


 Character Interview for IF WISHES WERE SHADOWS - Adam Straton
Conducted by A. Sangrey Black



Hi Adam. It's a pleasure to see you again, as always.


Thank you, Sangrey. You're looking… lovely this evening.


That's very kind of you, even though I always feel like a piece of raw meat whenever we speak.


I apologize. I'm afraid I failed to feed before we met. Perhaps we should break first?


Um, yes, why don't we? I saw "Interview With the Vampire," I know how things go otherwise.


*Adam Laughs and excuses himself*

*Some time later, they resume.*


Okay, Adam, feeling better?


Yes, much. Now you look delightful in a different way.


*Sangrey blushes* Okay… thanks. So, let's get started.

What's Your Full name?   

Adrastus Caesar Adamus Soranus -- in the modern era, I am known as Adam Straton.


Do you have any nicknames?  

Adam (in the modern, everyday world), Master, Adrastus.


Your Age:  

The general time during which Hadrian's Wall was constructed was the period I was born.


What's your real birth date? 

To be perfectly honest? I've forgotten the precise date. It is difficult to translate from the calendars of my time to this, but I believe it was in the late summer or early autumn, perhaps July or September.


Do you have a favorite food?  

I prefer blood, of course. A virgin AB negative is the finest vintage of all time. It is all but extinct today, but I and a few other ancients have small collections. Legends tell that a mere sip of the elixir can extend the life of a vampire by thousands of years. That is nonsense, of course. It is merely a blood type that has a taste so delightful that greedy vampires have all but devoured it out of existence.


As for human food, I am a dedicated carnivore. A fine grass fed rib eye or sirloin, done very rare, with a potato dish. I ate one in the south once that contained red potato, white truffle oil and bleu cheese I found particularly pleasant.


Favorite color?   

Midnight blue.


Favorite kind of music?  

Classical, particularly strings, although I enjoy an eclectic mix on occasion, thanks to my children. Each era has its unique and talented artists.


What's your most embarrassing moment?  

I'm sure I've made errors in my own time, but unfortunately, most memorable such moments are thanks to my most unruly and spoiled childe, George William. 

He enjoys humiliating me in public. Many of his pranks involve drunken shenanigans, law breaking, harassment of law enforcement officials and loud singing of obscene songs.


What do you like to do in your spare time?   

I enjoy restoring classic cars, reading, equestrian sports, and dungeon activities.


If you had one wish, what would it be?   

I must confess, I am a content vampire, most especially considering my age. Immortals rarely live as long as I have. The cliché of ennui that exists in our lore is, as they say, a cliché for a reason. When one exists for hundreds upon hundreds of years, after a time, that existence begins to wear on one. The first few centuries are consumed with learning to make your way in the world as a vampire without being discovered or doing something foolish like passing out in the sunlight. These years and the next few are often filled with the veritable smorgasbord of sensations the world has to offer us. We travel the world, sample its sensual delights, indulge in adventures we may have denied ourselves when we were mortal, delicate, so limited and afraid.


But even the thrill those adventures don't last forever. Eventually, all of those things one wanted to do, see, and learn have been accomplished. And while the passage of mortal time does bring new experiences, after a while, even change becomes an enemy. Many vampires grow lonely, having lost the ability to trust their own kind, and grown weary of the cycle of death of mortal friends and lovers. Some simply lose the will to go on. They may slow down and cease the caution needed to avoid being destroyed by hunters. They may go to ground, burying themselves in a crypt or beneath the earth, with no intention of returning to the surface. Some make the ultimate sacrifice, and commit suicide, usually by self-immolation.


Considering these things, I am blessed. I have a family that challenges my view of the world, that loves me, that submits to me. While they are not necessarily perfect submissive outside of the dungeon, they still fulfill so many needs I never imagined I possessed. Sexually, sensually, the way I experience reality… having Calinda and George William beside me has virtually taken a thousand years or more from the weight of my life. I have never been a man to brood or moan about the state of his being. I have always taken action to change those things that no longer served me well. But even I have faced periods of depression and loneliness in 2000 years. I count myself lucky to have crossed paths with the extraordinary individuals that I have in those dark times.


The first great change was to create George William in the late 19th century. To see such spirit and desire so caged and repressed -- I knew that he would be an explosion that would propel me far into the future… and training him to be a proper submissive would be a challenge that might never end. I wasn't wrong. Watching him bloom from entrapped "gentleman" to colorful character is well worth having to deal with the trouble he makes.


Calinda… I struggle to find proper words to describe what Calinda is to me… to our family. She has the spirit of George William, but a grace that I have never experienced before. She is a woman of great strength and self-assurance, and yet she takes to submission, masochism, and even slavery as if that is the core of her. That dichotomy makes her… precious. I feared that I would lose her when she knew the true depths of what I am… but that is what the story is about, so I will leave you to read that and discover what happened between she and I.


What about you is heroic?  

I've no interest in being heroic. If I've done something that might be considered such, that's fine, but I don't set out to do so. I don't many vampires do. If they become heroes, it is often by accident of fate or some desire to make amends for what they are. I feel no shame for what I am or what I've done. What's done is done, and all that can happen is to move forward with common sense, forethought, and grace.


What about you is social? What do you like about people?  

I mean no offense by what I am about to say, but the vast majority of humanity is little more than prey to my senses. It is a rare individual that catches my attention in any other way. Those are usually those extraordinary in some way, perhaps in intelligence or artistic talent. I am not one of those beastly vampires that think of all human beings as cattle and wish to enslave you all for their convenience. I simply have limited interest in interaction with you. The only times I socialize with humans are in business, in feeding, or when they're invited to our bedroom by Calinda or George William -- with my permission, of course.


Could you describe to us what you look like?  

This is the sort of thing that Calinda would be able to rattle off to you from memory. I believe my height to be 5 or 6 inches above 6 feet, my weight 16 stone or so… that's 250 pounds. I have black hair and brown eyes -- Calinda calls them "melted chocolate," while George William calls them a far less flattering type of brown. They shift to blood red during a rage or in feeding mode. My skin is vampire fair… pale with a bluish tint when unfed, and a slight pinkish flush when well fed. I was turned at 35 years of age, but men aged differently in my time. I appear between 35 and 45. Distinguishing features? I've been told I have a boldly structured face as far as jaw, cheekbones, and forehead are concerned. "Rugged," Calinda says. She also says that while I have a face that could terrify crowds, my mouth is far too lush and feminine for my other masculine features. May I say again that this is an uncomfortable subject?


How do you dress most of the time?  

I enjoy well-made, comfortable clothing appropriate to the occasion. I have an excellent tailor who has served me well for hundreds of years and knows precisely how I like my clothing, from underthings to tuxedos. I have another master craftsman who creates the most delectable outfits for myself and my lovers for the dungeon.


How do you "dress up"?

As the occasion demands, of course. I have been told that I have a problem "dressing down," as relaxing clothing for me still tends to be slacks and a shirt.


How do you "dress down"?

Calinda has recently purchased several pairs of very expensive sweat pants and "hoodies"… they're surprisingly comfortable, but I might not be willing to have those outside our kiss see them.


What do you wear when you go to sleep?  

Nothing.


Do you wear any jewelry?  

I have a number of pieces I've acquired by various means in my long life, but there are only a few I wear regularly: a signet ring given to me as a gift when George William became my permanent companion, a lovely platinum necklace with the eagle from my family's Roman crest which Calinda gave me upon her own conversion, and this *he shows an elaborate white gold ring made of three entertwined bands* the symbol of our kiss. Each of us wears a version of it to demonstrate our devotion publicly.  


In your opinion, what is your best feature?  

I brook no foolishness, and always do what must be done to keep my family safe.


Where do you live? Describe it: Is it messy, neat, avant-garde, sparse, etc.?  

I have a number of homes, and staff to tend them whether we are in residence or not. I am tidy by nature, as is Calinda, but you can imagine that George William cares little for the state of things in our homes unless I make him care.



I have a penthouse apartment here in the city, and the country estate several hours outside of town, a private island in the Carribbean, several homes in Europe, including my ancestral palazzo and vineyard in Italy, an estate in eastern European mountains, an apartment in Tokyo… and I'm sure there are others that don't come to mind at the moment. Oh, Calinda's favorite -- a ski villa in the Swiss Alps.


Do you own a car? Describe it.  

Oh, cars. They're a weakness of mine. I have a dozen ore more in operating condition, and more that I enjoy restoring in my rare free time. My current favorite is a spectacular 1958 Jaguar XK150 Drophead Coupe that I can't seem to put in the garage for long.


What is your most prized mundane possession? Why do you value it so much?  

I enjoy my art collection and statuary -- some of it is ancient and priceless. I value my car collection, of course. But I confess, if I had to disappear and leave all of those material things behind, only my family would matter. They are all I would take with me, and I would slaughter any being who tried to separate us.


What one word best describes you?  

Dangerous.


*      *      *

Well Adam is definitely one interesting guy... um I mean.. vampire! Want to know more? Follow the tour below, where lots of amazing bloggers are hosting reviews, author interviews, and other character interviews. Some are also hosting a giveaway, so enter for your chance to win at one of the giveaway posts! All you have to do is click on the link below, and it will take you to the full tour schedule! Thank you for stopping in!




About the Author:



Alexia enjoys the darker side of entertainment, including literature from the classic gothic style to the modern horror novel, erotica and romance that walks in the shadows off the beaten path. She loves horror movies both psychological and gory, and nurses a fascination for and dedication to the rights and practices of alternative lifestyles. What two or more adults do in the privacy of their dungeon is her... rather THEIR business. Vampires are her great fictional (or are they?) love, but all things that hunt the night, human or otherwise, forever capture her imagination and demand that she tell their stories. A denizen of the Adirondack Mountains of New York, there are plenty of legends, ghost stories, and creepy happenings in the deep forests and abandoned caves to keep her writing for the rest of her life.



A. Sangrey Black also writes more mainstream paranormal romance and urban fantasy as H.A. Fowler. She loves to hear from readers of both styles, so feel free to drop her a line or visit her blog or Facebook.



 



3 comments:

  1. Adam, you are such a sexy monster. LOL

    Thank you so much for having us today. :D If anyone has any comments or questions, please feel free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. confession until I read Devoured, i really didn't understand BDSM,other then how tv depicts it and i ended up looking it up on Google. Devoured was new adult and took a gentle but hot approach to it. I like the paranormal elements in this one, not sure if I am ready for this..but am at least keeping an open mind now! awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! You're a brave soul for even considering it, but this is pretty dark and hardcore -- definitely different from Devoured and other romantic BDSM. But good for you: the more open your mind becomes, the better. Thank you so much for stopping by today!

      The next story, which will be about how Adam and Calinda met, might be more your style. The sex is definitely steamy and rough, but not quite this dark... or at least, I don't plan it to be. You never know where they might go, those naughty characters!

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...