Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Review of Nightscapes, by Erik VanBezooijen

Nightscapes: Tales of Dark Fantasy

A collection of seven short stories spanning a wide gamut of styles and genres, from ghost stories to historical fantasies to surrealist horror to contemporary fantasies. 

For blurbs on each short story, check this book out on Goodreads. 

Kindle Edition
Published July 6th 2012 by Hazardous Press 

Lily's Rating:

Review:
So I quickly determined that it is difficult to award a rating to a book that is a compilation of different short stories. Some of which I liked, others that I didn't like quite so much. So to make it easier on myself, I individually rated each story, then calculated the average rating. And that is how I came up with the 3 star rating for 'Nightscapes'.

Individual Ratings:

The Woman On the Stair: didn't like it (my current rating) it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing
The Martyr and the Whore: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing
The Coldest Blood: didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing
Orpheus: didn't like it it was ok (my current rating) liked it really liked it it was amazing
The Seasonal Man: didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing
Between Two Rivers: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing   

Every story is different from one another, and obviously different plots attracted me over others. All of them had a definite darkness, a mark of sadness, and a couple of them had a lot of confusion, both for the main characters, and myself as a reader. 

Erik VanBezooijen most certainly writes with passion, with a dark tone and style that is original and difficult to forget. My two favorites 'The Martyr and the Whore', and 'Between Two Rivers' felt like parables (which I really enjoy), that were thought provoking and reminded me of Paulo Coelho, an author that I very much enjoy. Though VanBezooijen's tales read considerably darker, I found in these two, especially, a personal deeper meaning and inspiration.

I commend the author on a job well done with his first publication and encourage him to continue writing. I would definitely read other works by him.  My individual story ratings are not due to lack of writing skill, story or character development which was all well done, but preferences in the actual plots that I read, some of which I enjoyed a lot more than others. I would recommend this collection to fans of dark fantasy and horror fiction. 

Purchase Links:
Amazon Kindle

About this Author:
(pic & bio from Goodreads.com)

Erik VanBezooijen is a writer of fantasy, horror and experimental fiction. He currently divides his time between Brookfield, Connecticut, his home town, and New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, where he studies dramatic writing. His short fiction and poetry have appeared in "Abandoned Towers" and "Alienskin" Magazine, respectively. "Nightscapes" is his first published book. Most of it was written when he was 17. He counts Sarah Kane, David Lynch, Robert E. Howard, William S. Burroughs, Thomas Merton and Ian Curtis prominently among his many diverse artistic influences. When he's not busy writing, editing or being a student, he enjoys reading books of all varieties, tracking down cult horror movies and making noise with his guitar.


2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem figuring out ratings for anthologies. I like how you rated each one individually. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it was a toughie. But I adopted this method from Devlin over at http://devlinscott.lyshanpress.com/blog/blog1.php. He did something similar and I thought that was a much easier way of figuring out a rating for a collection.

      Lily

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...