Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Lily's Review of 'The Strain' by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan


The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1)
A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Ephraim "Eph" Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing.

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city - a city that includes his wife and son - before it is too late.

Hardcover, 549 pages
Published June 2nd 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2009)
 
Lily's Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing  

Review: 


It was a cold winter night, and a bad, bad person (me) needed a smoke (ugh bad I know). I suited up in my winter jacket and headed out to my fire escape, with my Kindle in hand. I was in the middle of a pretty scary scene in this book and could not bear to put it down. The dead were coming home! (in the book of course :P). I smoked, and read… and ice crackled down below, leaves blew in the winter wind. 

At every noise, I found myself tearing my gaze from the screen, eyes frantically scanning the back lot of my building. My heart started to pound. But I shook it off. Even felt annoyed with myself for being so ridiculous... 




But my heart kept pounding faster, and my imagination kicked in. What was that shuffling noise by the side of the wall? What if, what if… a shuffling zombie like thing with a nasty tentacle for a tongue comes around the corner? What will I do? Where will I hide? Will I get in to my apartment fast enough? Will it break down my door? Where did we put the meat cleaver!!

Not scared?? Who am I kidding??? Yes I was!! 

 I put out my half-finished smoke, and ran into my apartment, Kindle still in hand. Locked the door, checked the front door, and the windows, then sheepishly called my boyfriend and asked nonchalantly if he was making his way home from his work shop any time soon? (Because I miss you, honey! Why else??)


That actually happened. I am almost ashamed to admit it, except that it completely shows how this book scared the crap out of me. Embarrassingly, I will admit, I have an irrational fear of all things zombie like. Though evil, blood sucking vampires don’t scare me that much in literary terms, give them zombie like characteristics, and I’m a shivering gooey mess, asking for a samurai sword for Christmas (because they don’t run out of bullets, silly!).

Good job on this one, Guillermo & Hogan. You definitely worked your scary magic on at least one reader. I hear rumors of a tv/movie production. I will be there with bells on. I love a good scare. 




I really liked this book, not just for the scare factor, but I liked the writing. It had my attention from the very beginning. It was very cinematic. It flowed. 

Characters were well developed in my opinion. I felt like I knew each one of the ‘goodies’ intimately, and didn’t want to know the ‘baddies’ at all, though I was brought into that world as well. All the POVs worked; you knew everything would come together in its good time. I especially loved the character development of Professor Abraham Setrakian, and how his time in war time Germany in a camp as a Jewish prisoner tied him into the story. He is one fierce warrior, that one, even in his ripe old age. 

I was on the edge of my seat for most of this novel. It has been awhile since I read a book of this genre that made my heart race, and this one definitely did it.





** Though I could not find anything to substantiate the movie rumors, I was however THRILLED to learn that this is going to be a television series soon!!!!! WHOOOOHOOOOOOOOO **


Check out the details here: The Strain TV Series Pilot Order


I also found a sneak peek video on Youtube of one of the scenes! I am pretty excited!



Purchase Links for the Book:




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...