Friday, October 19, 2012

Lily's review of The Ravenous Dead, by Natasha Hoar


The Ravenous Dead (Lost Souls, #2)

This time the dead are hungry…

Rachel Miller doesn't just see dead people, she rescues them. As a member of The Order of Rescue Mediums, she spends most of her time helping stubborn spirits move on from the world. But after she learns the details of three brutal murders, she knows the culprit can only be a reaper, an undead monster that relentlessly stalks its victims to feed on their souls.

Published July 16th 2012 by Carina Press

Lily's Rating: 3 of 5 stars false

Review:

I was approved for this read on Netgalley, and excited to start it. I love the cover, and the synopsis.  No idea though, that this was part of a series, and 'The Ravenous Dead' was book 2. So when I realized that, I was a bit disappointed and apprehensive.  I HATE reading series out of order. But I just didn't have the time to go looking of the first book to read it first for this month, so I started it.



Honestly, I enjoyed this book. I was able to follow along really well, even without having read the first book.  Though all the main characters and the order that Rachel works for were probably better introduced in the first part of the series, I quickly established what the order was all about, what Rachel was able to do, and the relationship dynamics between the existing main characters. That being said, some of Rachel's powers and how she accesses them was a little confusing in the beginning without the background story, but I understand how and why she did what she did.

What I really enjoyed about this book was how the villain was so vicious and yet I felt so sorrowful for him.  I was introduced to his story of how he became a reaper, and the circumstances, I felt extremely sympathetic and sad. Not that I condoned his actions, but I understood why he had to do what he was doing. Either way, his actions had to be dealt with and that is where Rachel comes in.

The writer was able to, even though I missed the first part of the series, make me feel a wide array of emotions as this story played out. This was a short novella, at only 82 pages, but it was also jam packed with action from beginning to end. Though in length it was short, content wise, it was incredibly rich with conflict, relationships and emotions.

A worthwhile series to pick up.


This novel was kindly provided by the author/publisher via 

*I received a eBook copy of this book for free to review from the author/publisher; this in no way influenced my review, all opinions are 100% honest and my own.*

Purchase Links:
Available from Carina PressAmazon.com, KoboBarnes & Noble, iBookstore and other fine ebook retailers. Audio book available from Audible.com and iTunes.

About the Author:

Born in South Africa, Natasha moved to Canada in her 20s and settled just outside of Vancouver, British Columbia. This meant she was surrounded by an abundance of amazing natural beauty, interesting people from around the world to talk to and a fair bit of rain (which, oddly enough, she rather enjoys). She’s always up for a good adventure, especially if it involves ‘stumbling upon’ movie or TV shoots, hunting for G1 My Little Ponies at local thrift shops, meandering through book and toy stores, or looking into paranormal phenomena.

Follow her on Twitter: NatGreyAngel

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...