Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lily's Review of Contagious, by Emily Goodwin


Contagious (The Contagium Trilogy, #1)

"I wasn’t afraid of death. If I died, it would be over. My worst fear wasn’t of dying, it was of living. Living, while everyone around me had their flesh savagely torn from their bodies to be shoved into the festering and ever-hungry mouths of zombies. It terrified me, right down to my very core, to be alive while the rest of the world was dead."

In the midst of the Second Great Depression, twenty-five year old Orissa Penwell doesn't think things can get any worse. She couldn't be more wrong. A virus breaks out across the country, leaving the infected crazed, aggressive and very hungry.

Orissa will do anything-no matter if it's right or wrong- to save the ones she loves. But when she discovers that most of the world is infected or dead, she must decided if those lives are worth saving at all.



Publication Date: January 17, 2012
Print Length: 339 pages

Lily's Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing (my current rating)

Review:



That's for you, Emily Goodwin! Give yourself a high five.



I am a huge zombie genre fan (you don't say <snicker>) and this is the first zombie novel written by a woman that I have read. Not to be stereotypical, or sexist, but in a genre primarily dominated by male writers, this was a pleasant and surprising change. Because in case the 5 star rating didn't give it away, I totally loved this novel.


Orissa is bad ass. No better way to describe her. She is selfish, hard, and at times very unemotional. Not to mention her grandpa had some post-war issues, and taught her a few skills out of the norm. These skills completely contributed to her survival, and the survival of those few that she found herself locked in with, in a hospital basement, once the virus broke out and swept the nation. Orissa is not the most likeable of characters, and I certainly understand other readers' disdain for her, but I can honestly say, if I was stuck in this situation, likeable person or not, I would want her in my corner. Her walls can be chipped though, as evident by her reaction to what happens to a couple of characters along their journey. She is still human and has feelings, though they are carefully guarded. As the novel progressed, let's just say that Orissa completely grew on me.

There is only so much you can do with this genre, I think, that has not already been done or thought of before. So I didn't go into this story thinking that I was going to read anything new. But I did enjoy the different stages of the virus and how it affected the population. I enjoyed the few comedic moments introduced here and there. There was barely a moment where there wasn't some tension in this novel. How about shedding a tear or two? (Raises hand) Guilty.

I also liked how there was some romance with this story as well. It can't just be all about the zombies, and surviving without getting bitten! I did get frustrated hoping for Orissa and Hayden to just kiss already! But that was just me being my impatient self. They had a lot more to worry about than sealing the deal.

I really dislike huge cliffhangers, and this novel comes equipped with the worst cliffhanger of all - a character's life hangs in the balance. And a character that I just LOVE! ARGGHHHH So I did virtually get on my knees and begged the author for a copy of the second book which is currently going through an edit. But I needed to continue the series so badly I told her I would happily take an unedited version PLLEAAASEEE!!! And me gots one!!!! WHOOHOOOO


Purchase Links:
Amazon Kindle/Barnes & Noble/Smashwords

About the Author:

Emily resides in Indiana with her husband,ferrets,horses and their beloved dog, a German Shepherd named Vader. Emily has a degree in psychology, likes anything paranormal, listens to too much 80's rock and loves going on crazy adventures with her friends.

Website:




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...