Thursday, August 23, 2012

Lily's Review of Still Missing, by Chevy Stevens



Still Missing
On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a 32-year-old realtor, had three goals—sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all.
Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent as the captive of a psychopath in a remote mountain cabin, which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist, is a second narrative recounting events following her escape—her struggle to piece her shattered life back together and the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor.
Still Missing is that rare debut find--a shocking, visceral, brutal and beautifully crafted debut novel.

Published July 6th 2010 by St. Martin's Press

Lily's Rating:  didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing  

Review:

This book came highly recommended by Erin, my awesome co-blogger. Her review can be read here.

I asked her, "Erin, do you think this would be considered a 'Summer Read'?"  Since she wanted to do this theme for August, and I did want to join in the fun, I was looking for a couple of books that would fit the theme.

Her response, "Oh ya. You can consider this a Summer Read."

Summer Read my Ass!!!!

This novel is NOT for everyone. If you are prone to barfing your dinner reading psychological thrillers, this is not the book for you.

This was dark. Really really dark. And it was goooood. 

Really brutal novel about a woman's abduction by one very sick a*%hole, who kept her prisoner for months on end.  It depicts her struggle to survive in a mad reality she was unceremoniously thrown into.  

It was disturbing, shocking and made me feel slightly sick in the stomach. But it did not take away from the hope, strong-will and absolute strength that Annie O'Sullivan exuded throughout this crazy story. Not just during her time in captivity, but also her difficult healing process while trying to return back to 'a normal life'.

Told from first person perspective, in Annie's very quirky, bitter and sarcastic tone. Some of her one sided conversations with her therapist made me outright laugh. They made me sad. They made me so angry I wanted to hurt someone. 

This psychopath was uber creepy.  One sick SOB. If there was a character that I envisioned getting a few bitch slaps from me (to start), he was definitely a top 10 contender. I didn't care about his childhood, and whether his mommy forced him to put on dresses and paint his toenails and then beat him with a baseball bat (mommy does a lot worse in his case, but you catch my drift). I didn't care. I just wanted to shove icepicks in places where the sun don't shine. That is how repulsive he is.  

It was compelling, raw story. Very fast read and hard to put down.

Throw in a surprise twist in the end that I never saw coming, and this author has earned a place in my 'Watch List'. A debut novel to be proud of. 

Purchase Links:

  Amazon


About the Author:
(pic & bio from Goodreads.com)


Chevy Stevens 
Chevy Stevens is the New York Times Bestselling author of STILL MISSING and NEVER KNOWING. She grew up on a ranch on Vancouver Island and still calls the island home. When she's not working on her next book, she's camping and canoeing with her husband in the local mountains. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...