Saturday, August 25, 2012

Lily's Review of Rupture, by Curtis Hox



RuptureSimone Wellborn is a Transhuman with an attitude. She's been genetically engineered from birth to be super smart. The problem? All that tinkering her parents paid top dollar for provided a few unexpected results, like an annoying ability to blast telekinetic energy at the worst possible times. She also has another tricky issue: strange entities possess her and, worse, transform her into something dangerous.

The Transhuman Warrior Series tells the story of Simone and her friends as they're transformed into highly specialized human weapons. They must challenge the increasing power of the Rogues as these enemies push into Realspace with one goal in mind: total domination.


See full book blurb on Goodreads.com

Lily's Rating:  didn't like it it was ok (my current rating) liked it really liked it it was amazing  

Review:

Ok, all. First I need to disclose that I was unable to finish this novel.

That's right. This is a DNF - Did Not Finish. Yes I rated it. I rated what I read. Don't base the rating on the full novel, but on the 50% that I did stick it out for, before giving up on it and admitting defeat.

I was also offered a copy of this book by the author for an honest review.

I loved the book blurb. Sounds so interesting. And it started out really cool and fun. 

Reminded me a little of this:



Except, the robot suit I imagined was bigger, and there was a little rug rat in it, controlling its every move. There was a coach who was a really interesting guy. It was a really cool concept and I was intrigued.

Unfortunately this part didn't last long, and an array of more characters were introduced quite abruptly and en mass.

All of a sudden I am reading about

A kid who turns into a werebear - I forget his name




A really really angry chick - Forget her name
A Telekinetic Girl - Don't F with her! - Forget her name.. I think it's Simone
A SUCCUBUS! - Kept confusing her with Telekinetic girl
... and many more.

In case you didn't catch the theme with all the captions of the pretty pics and gifs... I couldn't keep any of these characters straight. And more and more characters kept getting introduced! I just couldn't keep up.

I read 6 other novels while I struggled through 50% of this book. The 50% took me month to get through. I am a quick reader... Reading 50% of a novel in a month is unheard of for me.. unless I am really stubborn about continuing a novel that I am really not invested in.

But I did try!

The reason why I didn't drop it sooner is because every time I was ready to drop it, something would happen that caught my attention and kept me reading. Hence the 2 stars. But I can not deny my absolute frustration with always not being able to keep characters straight. There wasn't enough character development to make them each memorable. 

There were individual story lines happening, but they didn't seem to connect very well with each other. I couldn't quite grasp what the gist of this novel was going to be; what path it was taking.

Eventually, I admitted defeat. I loved the idea of it. I enjoyed bits and pieces of what I did read. But that alone couldn't keep me going through the last half of this book.  

AVAILABLE ON AMAZON

About the Author:
(Pic & Bio from Goodreads.com)

Curtis HoxCurtis Hox is an English professor by day and a science fiction writer by night. He launched his debut novel, Bleedover, in Nov. 2011 and is editing his YA Transhuman Warrior Series, which is scheduled to launch on Jun 1st, 2012. He's also blogging his journey as a self-published author. He lives with his wife and two year old son, who often pretends to type on his keyboard and, at times, somehow inserts erroneous characters into his manuscripts. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...