Friday, August 17, 2012

Erin's Review of Hell or High Water, by Joy Castro

My Rating: 3 of 5 stars false
Nola Céspedes, an ambitious young reporter at the Times-Picayune, finally catches a break: an assignment to write her first full-length feature. While investigating her story, she also becomes fixated on the search for a missing tourist in the French Quarter. As Nola’s work leads her into a violent criminal underworld, she’s forced to face disturbing truths from her own past and is confronted with the question: In the aftermath of devastation, who is responsible for rebuilding what's been broken?

Vividly rendered in razor-sharp prose, this haunting thriller is a riveting journey of trust betrayed—and the courageous struggle to rebuild. Fast-paced, atmospheric, and with a knockout twist, Hell or High Water features an unforgettable heroine as fascinating and multilayered as New Orleans itself.

This is an honest review, which only depicts my feelings about the book.  It is not to deter anyone from reading it, in fact I encourage you to read it.

I have to admit, this novel started off pretty slow.  The story line was well thought out and very interesting once I got past the slow beginning.  I didn't feel the story picked up until Nola started investigating her story on convicted sex offenders.

Maybe it's just me, my husband calls me a weirdo, but I am absolutely fascinated with criminals and the criminal mind.  Whether it be mobsters, sexual predators, serial killers or murderers...I want to read about them all.  

I found the research that went into the book incredible.  As if I was hearing all of this from a professional in the field, and that made it very easy to get wrapped up in that aspect of the book.

Most of the story was great, the character development was strong, I really liked Nola, found that although I couldn't physically relate to her as she leads a very different life than I do...there was just something that drew me to her character.   

Though  I did find myself skipping over some of the slower plot lines. The story never got to that spot where I wanted to fly through it and never put it down, it was sort of like a slow burning candle...there was enough to keep my interested, but the very exciting parts were few and far between.

All in all it was a pretty good read, very well written and edited.  I do recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a thriller.

Stay tuned next week for an author spotlight on Joy Castro!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...