Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review of Looking Through Blind Eyes, by Reyna Hawk




Erin's Rating: 4 of 5 stars false
Lily's Rating:  didn't like it it was ok (my current rating) liked it really liked it it was amazing

Published May 17th 2012 by Outskirts Press 

All Janie and Daniel wanted was a better life and growing up in small town Louisiana did not give them that opportunity. So the sister and brother headed to Los Angeles, California to make the most of their lives. However, their hopes begin to diminish when Daniel's work in organized crime lead them down dangerous and deadly roads. After Daniel's mysterious disappearance and death, Janie plunges headlong into grief and love for the assistant to the "boss." The couple seems to have everything going for them except for Rico's job that takes him away for days on end sometimes. Janie's suspicions and worries over Rico's possible infidelity reveals information she never imagined would come to light. Her undying love for this man leads to secrets, lies, and murder. Soon Janie finds herself on the wrong side of the gun hanging off a cliff deep in the woods of North Carolina.


Double Review Feature

.... and we don't agree......



Lily: Meh..... Just meh.....

Erin: Haha. I really liked it.

Lily: My first piece of advice for this book.













The misuse of 'seen' was everywhere... Bugged the crap out of me.

Erin: LOL I didn't even notice it to be honest, I was too wrapped up in the story. Thought the beginning was pretty slow with the character building, but it picked up really quickly.

Lily: It didn't bother you at all that the story was told from beginning to end, as opposed to SHOWN?? The only action was when they were talking to each other.

Erin: Usually it would, but once again... I was too wrapped up in the story to notice much of it.

One thing that drove me nuts was the amount of times they had to tell each other they loved one another.... it seemed as if they were saying 'I love you' every paragraph...



Lily: YES!! Agreed. Barf. I'd rather see pictures of kittens trying to eat their mom's face off.

I always have a hard time getting emotionally attached to a story or any character when it's being told. I found myself skimming through the last quarter of the novel just to get to the end, and move on.  I found it pretty predictable too....

Obviously you have a VERY different opinion. The story was not bad, but I just wasn't emotionally invested like you said you were.

Erin: And emotionally invested I was! I actually found myself tearing up at times.

See, I wasn't able to predict the ending at all. I was able to predict that something strange happened to Daniel, but what actually did happen completely caught me off guard!  I thought there were enough twists in the plot to keep things moving along well.

It's amazing that two people who are as close as we are can have such different viewpoints on a book.... I thought you would have really liked it!

Lily: Meh....


Purchase Links:

Signed and personalized copy directly via author! 
Amazon - Kindle or Paperback 
Through Outskirts Press! 


About the Author:

Reyna is a 44-year-old mother of one son and grandmother to one beautiful 3-year-old little girl. Born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio Reyna has always loved writing and story telling. From a very young age she was making up stories to tell her friends. 
She has an Associate of Arts in Psychology and a Bachelor of Arts in Cultural Anthropology.
Her novel “Looking Through Blind Eyes” is set to be released in July of 2012. 
You can check out the Author's website here! 
You can also connect with her on Goodreads, or follow her on Twitter or Facebook (details on her website).



3 comments:

  1. Thank you Lily and Erin... I love how you two banter back and forth. I actually was LOL at many points. I'm the type of writer that takes the negative of what the reviewers say and put it into a positive note to hone my writing skills. Thank you so much and look forward to your reviews of my future work.

    Reyna Hawk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Pleasure!

      We are going to be hosting your interview on our site on Friday June 29th. :)

      Erin & Lily

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...