Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lily's Review of 'Don't Call Me Angel", by Alicia Wright Brewster


My Rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing  
After crawling her way out of Hell, Six is ready to cast aside her angel wings and all the responsibilities that come with them. But Earth is not as peaceful as she imagined it. Demons, dark angels, and other hell-beasties escaped before her, and they're not as content as she is to live a quiet life on Earth.

A fellow angel who escaped Hell with her commits a series of soul-murders, destroying human souls so they can't go to the afterlife. Although Six has conflicting feelings about humans, she goes after the other angel to keep their escape a secret from the one she fears most.





This novella was a pretty cool read. I loved that there were graphic pictures included with the writing. Usually I don't have a tough time picturing characters in my mind, but this was an added bonus I really enjoyed. I could see this as a fully graphic novel actually. It could work!

Yes there was a lot of character development lacking. You don't know why Six was kicked out into Hell, but then neither does she. What you do understand of the characters though is well written and built. You get the essence of the main players. The relationships built are no less strong in the context of this short novel.

I like Six. Plain and simple. She is hard ass, but I felt a deep sadness in her as well. She has an emptiness that I think she wants to fill, but even she is not sure what is missing. Her extreme actions on her first night on Earth were upsetting, though I understood why she did what she did. But I wanted her to keep the biggest physical part of her identity, and was saddened by her choice.

I dislike Alden. Very.much.dislike.Alden. A$%hole! 'Nuf said.

K maybe not enough said.

I don't like what you were caught doing. I hope you get pulled back into Hell and tortured in lots of creative ways for being such a power hungry, selfish evil bastard.


Hmmm maybe a little overboard on that one? Meh... Moving on!

Luke is interesting. Lots of hype and fear and hibby-gibbies, and he just does a little tiny appearance of his apparent evil but sexy self at the very end. And 'poof'! Off he goes!

There was very little background information, but it didn't really affect my enjoyment of this story. I liked the mysteries of the past but I do hope they will be further explored in the next installments.  I will definitely read the next in the series.



This novel was kindly provided by the author for an honest review.




Published June 15th 2012 by Dragonfairy Press

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Review!! Thanks!!! And love the images!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I dislike Alden. Very.much.dislike.Alden. A$%hole! 'Nuf said."

    ^^ Ha ha ha ha! :D

    Thanks for the review, Lily!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...