Saturday, June 30, 2012

Itty Bitties! - Short Story Buzz


Short stories are hard to review. They are... well... short! But we would like to venture out into this world as well.

So, we are trying something new on our site in honor of short stories. And hope to do a monthly or bi-weekly post called 'Itty Bitties!" devoted to a few short stories and our thoughts on each one that we have chosen!

Enjoy!





Book Blurb From: Amazon
Author: J.C. Martin
Publication Date: October 2, 2011
File Size/Print Length: 154 kb/30 Pages
The Island of the Dolls is a strange and eerie tourist destination in Mexico, where hundreds of decomposing dolls hang from trees like grisly Christmas ornaments. On a trip to the island, Joyce Parker's daughter falls in love with a beautiful but sinister doll. Soon after, she starts developing strange mannerisms that concerns Joyce. Her research into the doll's past reveals a dark history, and the curse of a lonely child spirit.


Lily's Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing

I have personally always thought dolls to have a creepy element to them. Ok... maybe not always, I had plenty of baby dolls as a kid, but once I hit my preteens they certainly did not feel the same to me. And after reading this short story, I feel even more validated.

First of all, creeeeeepy cover. But was even more creepy are the images in my head while reading this story, of decomposing dolls hanging off trees on this Island of Dolls in Mexico.

It definitely felt like there was some truth/accuracy to this legend and the island, so I actually googled this. And came across a lot of creepy pictures and articles about this place. If you are curious, click on this LINK to an interesting article full of pictures, and take a look for yourself. (shudder)

For a 30 page story, it was pretty well written. The characters are developed enough that you can relate to them, and though I found the story predictable as it evolved, I did enjoy the author's take at the end, and the relationship of the dolls and drownings in the island. Won't insert a spoiler here; you will have to read the story for yourself.

Didn't give me nightmares, but I certainly felt creeped out. Worth a look and an hour or so of your time!

Purchase Links (was free last time I checked!):

Check it out on Amazon.
Also available on Smashwords in other e-formats.


Book Blurb From: Goodreads
Author: Malachi King
Publication Date: May 22, 2012
File Size/Print Length: 11 Pages

Benny the knackerman collects dead animals from farms and delivers them to be processed. He's old and feels useless, but carries on with his unusual job because he knows more about it than anyone. Cattle are usually dead of disease or injury, but not on Andriss Scott's farm. Upon arrival at Scott's home, standing next to mutilated cattle, Benny finds a little girl, Corina, who tells him there were dancing lights in the sky and the poor cows had been "taken." Confused, Benny speaks to the farmer, Andriss, and is put at ease by swapping military service stories and the farmer's calm demeanor. A short story. 


Lily's Rating:  didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing  
Erin's Rating: 2 of 5 stars false 

Double Review Feature




Erin: Umm.... so about the Knackerman... Creepy or what???

Lily: That little girl was creepy actually... a little unnatural and odd.

Erin: I know!!! I couldn't help but think she was the culprit.  The little girl I was picturing in my head looked a lot like this....




I don't know what to think about it. It's so hard to review a book that is this short. I don't think I have ever read a book this short before. There was no time for character development... which is probably a good thing since that little girl creeped me out. In fact, so did the father.

Lily: The story was worth the 20 minutes it took me to read it. Was interesting enough. As interesting as a bunch of cattle, dead on a farm with drilled out bungholes would be interesting I guess?

Erin: Yeah... this one I would have to say was just okay.

Lily: Not much more to say over something that short....

Erin: Definitely worth the title 'Itty Bitty'.


Purchase Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...