Monday, May 7, 2012

Lily's Review of 'Death Has Come Up Into Our Windows', by Stant Litore

My Rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing (my current rating)

595 BC. God is weeping behind her veil in the Temple while the dead eat her city.

Her prophet Yirmiyahu wakes sometimes in the night and hears those cries. He has foreseen the devouring of the city, and his warnings to its citizens are far from popular. As our story opens, Yirmiyahu is imprisoned at the bottom of a dry well; once each day, his gaolers toss the hungry dead into the well after him. Yirmiyahu will have to fight to survive the dead, dehydration, and some truly wrenching memories -- memories of atrocities witnessed, lives lost, and sacrifices made that shatter the heart.


We are starting Zombie month with a great novella folks. This story BLEW me away! And what an amazing cover! Good representation of gut punching story coming at you.  This story IS NOT for the weak of heart (or stomach)!

Let me start with a warning that I hope you pay attention to. Please don't spend an hour and a half cooking up a great dinner, because you will not enjoy it, if you eat and read this book at the same time, like I stupidly did. Not only did my dinner go cold due to all the chewing pauses as I ferociously devoured parts of this book (as opposed to devouring my scrumptious dinner), but the slight feeling of nausea as some of these scenes played out in my head didn't necessarily allow me to fully enjoy the food on my plate.  Needless to say, my better half gave me a couple of looks and head shakes, and asked me if I was going to finish what was on my plate... Well, at least HE enjoyed dinner...

As a Zombie genre fan, this had all the EWW impact moments one would look for. I have never heard of Stant Litore, but holy crap, did he ever write a good zombie story. I am an INSTANT FAN.

That being said, something else caught me off guard about this book. That being our main character and prophet, Yirmiyahu and how deeply his story touched me.

This story didn't really focus on the plague of the walking dead and how it even came about.  It focused on the spiritual and physical struggles of Yirmiyahu as he tried to convince the masses to have faith in God (good twist with portraying God as female by the way).  This was such an emotional and gut wrenching story. I found my eyes filling up with tears during some of his most agonizing moments as he fought to stay alive. And though I will not include a spoiler in this review, let me just say, towards the end of this story..... Big, big "Nooooooooooo, no no no no!!!!" moment...


Wow... Just... Wow.... 


Great character development 
  
Great story and plot 


Emotionally wrenching 

Memorable and thought provoking 
 
Zombie gore factor!!! 




If you guys like the Zombie genre do yourself a favor and check this novella out. I really don't think you will be disappointed. Worth every penny. 


Big, Fabulous 5 out of 5 for this one!













  

1 comment:

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...