Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lily's Review of "The Darkening Dream", by Andy Gavin

My Rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing    
(3.5/5 actually towards the 4 star mark)


The Darkening Dream is the chilling new dark fantasy novel by Andy Gavin, creator of Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter.

Even as the modern world pushes the supernatural aside in favor of science and steel, the old ways remain. God, demon, monster, and sorcerer alike plot to regain what was theirs.

For a more detailed synopsis please click here.






 Vampires, and Demons, and Warlocks... OH MY!

This book pretty much has it all. And neither of them glitter, or fall in love with each other at first sight. This is definitely not one of those novels. This tale is dark, nightmarish, and not for the faint of heart.  Made of stuff to give you nightmares, if you have a normal disposition, cause you need a pretty strong stomach for this one. Thankfully I do, so I was nightmare free, but cannot guarantee the same for other readers brave enough to pick this one up.

Nothing like a vampire hanging a young teenager upside down, while slowly breaking and wrenching his limbs, and letting his blood seep into the soil of a tree, to reel me into a story (that was just the beginning!). Like I said... not for the faint of heart!

This novel introduces a lot of different players, and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little bit confused sometimes. Introduce in some scary Egyptian gods in the mix too, and you have a little more than you can chew. But the story is well built, the characters well developed enough, and if you are a fan of horror genre, you are definitely interested throughout.

This was very fast paced, with a lot of action from beginning to end.  Very unpredictable twist at the end that I am still conflicted about. There better be a continuation! It can't just be left like that!!!  Needless to say, I will be in line to read it, and very open to pick up any other future novels by Andy Gavin.   

And I must mention.... stunning cover! 

 

7 comments:

  1. I think I'll be giving this one a try. Thanks Lily, this sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey E!
      Thanks for stopping in this morning. There will be an interview and giveaway coming up if that peaks your interest :)

      Delete
  2. I have this on my kindle. Need to dust ot off and get reading. Thanks for the review. Sounds like you really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meant to tell ya. Love your little zombie. Need to get me something like that:) I have been reviewing a lot of zombie books lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, google 'zombie farm'. It's a game for the iphone, full of these little funny character zombies!
      :)

      Delete
  4. This book sounds like my style!!! I'm going to have to definitely check this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy!
      Thank you for stopping by. We are hoping to have an author spotlight on Andy Gavin and a giveaway, so if you want to stay tuned to enter, you may be one of the lucky winners!

      Lily & Erin

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...