Monday, May 28, 2012

Lily's Review of Alice in Deadland, by Mainak Dhar


My Rating:

Civilization as we know it ended more than fifteen years ago, leaving as it's legacy barren wastelands called the Deadland and a new terror for the humans who survived — hordes of undead Biters.

Fifteen year-old Alice has spent her entire life in the Deadland, her education consisting of how best to use guns and knives in the ongoing war for survival against the Biters. One day, Alice spots a Biter disappearing into a hole in the ground and follows it, in search of fabled underground Biter bases.

What Alice discovers there propels her into an action-packed adventure that changes her life and that of all humans in the Deadland forever. An adventure where she learns the terrible conspiracy behind the ruin of humanity, the truth behind the origin of the Biters, and the prophecy the mysterious Biter Queen believes Alice is destined to fulfill.

A prophecy based on the charred remains of the last book in the Deadland — a book called Alice in Wonderland.


Well, folks. Zombie month has been A LOT of fun. And we come to the final zombie review of the month. Unfortunately, I didn't save the best for last... 

This cover is stunning. Jumped right out at me on Amazon. And so I nabbed it. Seeing that I am a Zombie genre lover, I figured... Can't go wrong... 

Well... not necessarily.

This is not the first time that I have exposed myself to an 'Alice in Wonderland' spin off. The first time I picked up such a venture, it was a completely different type of media. 


 

Thatttt's Riiighhhtt!!! A killer Alice video game from EA Games. Pretty cool actually.  Here is one of my favorite artist pics of Alice in this depiction of the story.



LOVE IT! Lots of dicing and slicing in this game, and a lot of fun!

K so the Alice in this novel kinda reminded me of the Alice from the video game. But there is one huge difference between the video game in question, and this novel...

The video game had better character development.

The writing in this novel was good, but there was really no character building at all. 

Result - I cared more about video game Alice than our Alice in Deadland. I barely knew who she was!! She has a mother and a father, is a great fighter, soldier and sharp shooter but other than that? ...... zero, zip, nada.

The spin on the zombies having some sort of thought process, and the hybrid queen was pretty cool, but not very original. Very reminiscent of "I Am Legend"; it's been done before. But I did appreciate the Queen spin, and her character had a lot of potential, but just like the other characters in this novel, she really wasn't explored enough as a character.

This was a high action novel from beginning to end that would do much better as a screenplay for a movie picture, rather than a novel. 

I sometimes go to action movies that have little or a really lame plot. And I am not really looking for a plot or care for one. I just want to see the awesome shooting, explosions and special effects. THAT does not work well with a novel however. If there is no one to really care about, I am still losing interest in the plot, regardless of how many shooting scenes, fighting, orRPG explosions you manage to fit in there. Because honestly, my mind does not conjure up the special effects like Hollywood studios can. It's just too lazy.

I even picked out Alice for the movie!



You can even keep her in the same outfit if you want. It will work just as well for this movie too!!

As a book though... Ugh...

What can I say... 

 I finished it. I even paid close attention to what was going on. But this one was definitely a disappointment for me. I wouldn't deter readers from picking this up and giving it a chance, but I won't be proclaiming its glory either. And don't really think I will be picking up the next installment of this series.


And this one is a lonely 2 out of 5 zombies for me....






4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Blog...love the design.

    NEW FOLLOWER.

    Stop by my blog if you like.

    A giveaway going on at my blog:

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-and-giveaway-of-story-of-west-by.html


    Elizabeth

    Silver's Reviews

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lily! Good review! We need to get that Killer Alice video game!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so everyone knows, that was ERIN telling me what a good review I wrote.

      That was not ME congratulating myself on my own review.

      HAHA!

      (Lily)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, what an awesome review. That game looks SO good. It's a shame that the book wasn't as good though - I thought it sounded good, but it's a shame it didn't work out for you. I think I'll be given this one a miss.

    New to your blog,
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...