Friday, May 11, 2012

Erin's Review of Barefoot in November, by Benjamin J. Carey

My rating:
didn't like it (my current rating) it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing  
A young man escaped a twisted life in Upstate New York and fled to Manhattan to start over. We meet him later in the prime of his life building the American dream; only to find out that his world is about to be turned upside down. Suddenly he is faced with his own mortality, and the possibilty that he may be saying goodbye forever to his pregnant wife, young children, and the big white house he has built in a quaint Long Island suburb. "Barefoot in November" is about dying and living, not living and dying. It's a wrestling match between Man, God, and Destiny, and the stories that interconnect them. A story and characters so real; as if you are living it yourself.

I read this book because I usually love books with a medical aspect to them. Looking at all of the reviews I thought that I was going to love it, and be unable to put it down….I was so very wrong!

I can understand how people who have been diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm could relate to this memoir. And I hope that the author meant to only engage those people, because this book totally lacked interest and emotion. Both something that I feel is important in writing a good book.

It is so important for me to be emotionally invested in a book, to feel some type of a connection with the characters in the story. This book lacked all of that.

The writer didn’t make me feel the heartache and pain that his family was going through…it was all “Me, Me, Me!” When in reality your entire family would be going through a rough time, it affects them all…but the fact that all you could talk about was yourself totally threw me off.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...